Lesson #2 -- Importance of Insects
- Explain what roles insects play in the cycling of energy and nutrients in the biosphere.
- Compare the distribution and abundance of the Class Insecta to that of other common groups of vertebrates and invertebrates.
- Describe at least six ways humans derive benefits from the activities of insects.
- Name five insects that produce commercially valuable products used by humans.
- List at least six examples of references to insects in human culture (art, literature, etc.).
- Identify at least six characteristics of insects that contribute to their dominance and abundance on Earth.