1. Centipedes and millipedes belong to the SAME subphylum as
spiders and ticks.
2. Honey bees are more closely related to ants than to butterflies
3. Aquatic immatures of ALL holometabolous insects are known as
4. All insects in the orders Diptera and Phthiraptera have sucking
5. Cerci are commonly found in ametabolous insects but NOT in
6. Which insect order is most closely related to Dermaptera?
A. Hymenoptera C. Orthoptera
B. Plecoptera D. Thysanura
7. Which arthropods have chelicerae?
A. Spiders C. Millipedes
B. Shrimp D. All of these
8. The order Orthoptera contains:
A. Bed bugs and stink bugs
B. Chewing and sucking lice
C. Roaches and mantids
D. Crickets and grasshoppers
9. Which characteristic would NOT be found in the Onychophora?
A. One pair of antennae
B. Three tagmata
C. Jointed legs with claws
D. Segmented body
10. Which order is exclusively hematophagous (blood feeders)?
A. Siphonaptera C. Thysanoptera
B. Phasmida D. Hymenoptera
11. Which structure is ALWAYS associated with the Hymenoptera?
A. Furcula C. Hamuli
B. Collophore D. Elytra
12. Chewing mouthparts NEVER occur in:
A. Fleas C. Earwigs
B. Beetles D. Bees
13. All neopterous insects are:
A. Predatory C. Wingless
B. Ectognathous D. Hemimetabolous
14. Which developmental stage is found only in the Ephemeroptera?
A. Prepupa C. Subimago
B. Naiad D. Imago
15. Which orders are most important in the transmission of human
A. Phasmatodea and Odonata C. Hymenoptera and Siphonaptera
B. Diptera and Phthiraptera D. Hemiptera and Thysanoptera
Match each insect in the left column with its correct order name in
the right column.
16. Springtails A. Trichoptera
17. Leafhoppers C. Psocoptera
18. Bristletails E. Plecoptera
19. Booklice G. Thysanura
Classify the following orders as:
21. Siphonaptera A. Predators
22. Odonata C. Herbivores
Go to Answers