Principal Research Scholar
Medical Entomology, Dept. of Entomology,
Campus Box 7647, Dearstyne Entomology Building
3230 Ligon Road, N. C. State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7647
Current Research Topics
- Isolation and identification of microbial associated oviposition attractive cues for the surveillance and control of the sand fly, Phlebotomus papatasi.
- Characterization and ecology of tick-associated microbiomes and their role in tick-borne human disease transmission in the US using high-throughput sequencing.
- Characterization of microbial communities in the Kudzu bug and their microbial packets produced by the females for trans-generational and trans-continental bacteria movement and the role of bacteria in the insect transition from wild legumes to soybeans using high-throughput sequencing (emergence of a new, US invasive pest).
- Ecology of the chigger microbiome in Thailand and its role in the transmission of the human disease, scrub typhus using the Illumina MiSeq sequencing platform.
- Valerie A. P, J. Yukich, A. Soonthorndhada, M. Giron, C.S. Apperson, L. Ponnusamy, C. Schal, A.C. Morrison, J. Keating, DM. Wesson. 2016. Design and testing of novel lethal ovitrap to reduce populations of Aedes mosquitoes: community-based participatory research between industry, academia and communities in Peru and Thailand. PLOS ONE. In press.
- Jay F. L., C. Apperson, M. Levin, TR. Kelly, J. Strider, ML. Kakumanu, L Ponnusamy, H. Sutton, S. Salger, J. Caldwell, A. Szempruch. 2016. Stable transmission of Borrelia burgdorferi senu stricto on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Zoonoses and Public Health. In press.
- Diane B. C., JP. Grieco, C. Apperson, C. Schal, L. Ponnusamy, DM. Wesson, and NL. Achee. 2016. Effect of spatial repellent exposure on dengue vector attraction to oviposition sites. PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases. 10: e0004850
- Wallace, J.W., W. L. Nicholson, J. L. Perniciaro, M. F. Vaughn, S. Funkhouser, J. J Juliano, S. Lee, M. L Kakumanu, L. Ponnusamy, C. S. Apperson, S. R Meshnick. 2016. Incident tick-borne infections in a cohort of North Carolina outdoor workers. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases. 16:302-308.
- Kakumanu, M., L. Ponnusamy, H. Sutton, S. Meshnick, W. Nicholson, C. S. Apperson. 2016 Development and validation of an improved PCR method using 23S-5S intergenic spacer for detection of Rickettsiae in Dermacentor variabilis ticks and tissue samples from humans and laboratory animals. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 54:972-979.
- Marayati, B. F, C. Schal, L. Ponnusamy, C. S. Apperson, T Rowland, G Wasserberg. 2015. Attraction and oviposition preferences of Phlebotomus papatasi (Diptera: Psychodidae), vector of Old-World cutaneous leishmaniasis, to larval rearing media. Parasites and Vectors 8:663.
- Ponnusamy, L., C. Schal, C. Arellano, D. M. Wesson, and C. S. Apperson. 2015. Oviposition responses of Aedes mosquitoes to bacterial isolates from attractive bamboo infusions. Parasites and Vectors 8:486.
- Treuren, W.V., L. Ponnusamy, R. J. Brinkerhoff, A. Gonzalez, C. M. Parobek, J. J. Juliano, T. G. Andreadis, R. Falco, L. B. Ziegler, N. Hathaway, C. Keeler, M. Emch,. J. A. Bailey, R. M. Roe, C. S. Apperson, R. Knight, and S. R. Meshnick. 2015. Variation in the microbiota of Ixodes ticks with geography, species and sex. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 8:6200-6209.
- Londono-Renteria B., J. Patel, M. Vaughn, S. Funkhauser, L. Ponnusamy, C. Grippin, S. B. Jameson, C. Apperson, C. N. Mores, D. M. Wesson, T. M. Colpitts, and S. R. Meshnick. 2015. Long-lasting permethrin-impregnated clothing protects against mosquito bites in outdoor workers. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 93:869-874.
- Guagliardo, S. A., A. C. Morrison, J. L. Barboza, D. M. Wesson, L. Ponnusamy, H. Astete, G. Vazquez-Prokopec, and U. Kitron. 2015. Evidence for Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) Oviposition on boats in the Peruvian Amazon. Journal of Medical Entomology 52:726-729.
- Lee, S., M. Kakumanu, L. Ponnusamy, M. Vaughn, S. Funkhouser, H. Thornton, S. R. Meshnick, C. S. Apperson. 2014. Prevalence of rickettsiales in ticks removed from the skin of outdoor workers in North Carolina. Parasites and Vectors 7:607.
- Pérez de León A. A., P. D. Teel, A. Li, L. Ponnusamy, and M. R. Roe. 2014. Advancing integrated tick management to mitigate burden of tick-borne diseases. Outlooks on Pest Management 25:382-389.
- Ponnusamy, L., A. Gonzalez, W. Van Treuren, S. Weiss, C. M. Parobek, J. J. Juliano, R. Knight, R.M. Roe, C. S. Apperson and S. R. Meshnick. 2014. Diversity of Rickettsiales in the microbiome of the lone star tick, Amblyomma americanum. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 80:354-359.
- Ponnusamy, L., K. Böröczky, D. M. Wesson, C. Schal and C. S. Apperson. 2011. Bacteria stimulate hatching of yellow fever mosquito eggs. PLoS ONE, 6: e24409.
- Ponnusamy, L., N. Xu, K. Böröczky, D. M. Wesson, L. Abu Ayyash, C. Schal, and C. S. Apperson. 2010. Oviposition responses of the mosquitoes Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus to experimental plant infusions in laboratory bioassays. Journal of Chemical Ecology 36:709-719.
- Smith, M. P., L. Ponnusamy, J. Jiang, L. Abu Ayyash, A. L. Richards, and C. S. Apperson. 2010. Bacterial pathogens in ixodid ticks from a Piedmont county in North Carolina: Prevalence of rickettsial organisms. Vector Borne and Zoonotic Diseases 10:939-952.
- Ponnusamy, L., D. M. Wesson, C. Arellano, C. Schal, and C. S. Apperson. 2010. Species composition of bacterial communities influences attraction of mosquitoes to experimental plant infusions. Microbial Ecology 59:158-173.
- Ponnusamy, L., N. Xu, D. M. Wesson, C. Schal, and C. S. Apperson. 2008. Identification of bacteria and bacteria-associated chemical cues that mediate oviposition site preferences by Aedes aegypti. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105:9262-9267.
- Ponnusamy, L., N. Xu, G. Stav, D. M. Wesson, C. Schal, and C. S. Apperson. 2008. Diversity of bacterial communities in the container habitats of mosquitoes. Microbial Ecology 56:593-603.
- Richards, S. L., L. Ponnusamy, T. R. Unnasch, H. K. Hassan, and C. S. Apperson. 2006. Host-feeding patterns of Aedes albopictus (Skuse) (Diptera: Culicidae) in relation to the availability of human and domestic animals in suburban landscapes of central North Carolina. Journal of Medical Entomology 43:543-551.
- Loganathan, P., and S. Nair. 2004. Swaminathania salitolerans gen. nov., sp. nov., a salt-tolerant, nitrogen-fixing and phosphate-solubilizing bacterium from wild rice (Porteresia coarctata Tateoka). International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology 54:1185-1190.
- Loganathan, P., and S. Nair (2003) Crop-specific endophytic colonization by a novel, salt-tolerant, N-2-fixing and phosphate-solubilizing Gluconacetobacter sp from wild rice. Biotechnology Letters 25:497-501.
- Muthukumarasamy, R., G. Ravathi, and P. Loganathan (2002) Effect of inorganic N on the population, in vitro colonization and morphology of Acetobacter diazotrophicus. Plant and Soil 243:91-102.
- Saleena L. M, P. Loganathan, R. Sunitha, and S. Nair (2001) Genetic diversity and relationship between Bradyrhizobium strains isolated blackgram and cowpea. Biology and Fertility Soil 34:276-281.
- Sunitha, R., P. Loganathan, L. M. Saleena, and S. Nair (2001) Diversity of pseudomonads isolated from three different plant rhizospheres. Journal of Applied Microbiology 91:742-749.
- Saleena, L. M., P. Loganathan, R. Sunitha, and S. Nair (2001) Genetic diversity of Bradyrhizobium strains isolated from Arachis hypogaea. Canadian Journal of Microbiology 47:118-122.
- Loganathan P., R. Sunitha, A. K. Paridha, and S. Nair (1999) Isolation and characterization of two genetically distant groups of Acetobacter diazotrophicus from a new host plant Eleusine coracana L. Journal of Applied Microbiology 87:167-172.
- Palaniappan, S. P., P. Sudhi sreedhar, P. Loganathan, and J. Thomas (1997) Competitiveness of native Bradyrhizobium japonicum strains in two soil types. Biology and Fertility of Soil 25:279-284.
Media Contact (selected from over hundreds of news coverage)
- Scientists discover chemical cues that stimulate egg laying by pregnant mosquitoes, highlighted in NCSU’s Perspectives, Fall, 2008, page 22. http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/agcomm/magazine/fall08/n_mosquitoes.html
- Not just any water will do for mosquitoes, written by Henry Fountain in The New York Times, July 15, 2008, page D3. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/science/15obmosq.html
- Scientists hit upon source of dengue, our research findings highlighted by Kumar Chellappan in Deccan Chronicle, September 04, 2008, page 5.
- Yellow fever mosquito takes chemical cues from bacteria, by Hayley Birch, in Chemistry World, Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC), July 08, 2008. http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/News/2008/July/08070801.asp
- How mosquitoes smell foul water? by Lars Fischer on September 2008 in SPEKTRUM DER WISSENSCHAFT.
- Bacterium with salinity tolerance, published in Hindu national news magazine, Edited by Agriculture Correspondent, January 15, 2004, page 11.
- Microbe to help reduce use of fertilizers identified, Edited By special correspondent in Hindu national news Magazine, January 06, 2004, page 12.
- Great little wonder, edited by T V Jayan about our research in Science and Technology section of Down to Earth magazine, February 15, 2004, page 27.
- Human friendly bacteria, highlighted in Civil Service Chronicle, March 2004, page 67.
- Halo tolerance bacterium, highlighted in news and repot section of Advanced BioTech, February 2004, page 09.