Winslow Hall

Winslow Hall

View from East

Scroll below for building history

Click to view ADA Map
Accessibility Map

Location: North Campus

Current Residents:

Diversity and Inclusion
Equal Opportunity
University Development
University Advancement

Built 1897.
Renovated once in 1959 and again in 2006 when the name was changed from Alumni Memorial Building
to Winslow Hall.

Square Footage 11,291

Architect Henry E. Bonitz

To: Campus Map
To: Facilities Division
To: Floor Plans


With the opening of the Dorothy and Roy Park Alumni Center on Centennial Campus in 2006, the building was renamed Winslow Hall for one of the three charter members of the original Watauga Club who was effective in petitioning the legislature to approve what would become North Carolina State University. The other two members were Walter Hines Page and William Joseph Peele.

Arthur Winslow was a charter member of the Watauga club, and was a graduate of MIT who worked as a "surveyor in eastern North Carolina." He was named to chair the committee that looked into the practicality of petitioning the legislature to approve what would become North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts.

Arthur Winslow, Walter Hines Page, and William Joseph Peele memorialized the General Assembly early in 1885 to create an institution for instruction in "wood-work, mining, metallurgy, practical agriculture and in such other branches of industrial education as may be deemed expedient". Many of Peele's Wataugans appeared before the Legislative Committee on Education to argue in favor of the proposal. Later Peele wrote of how, "with the powerful assistance of many others," it became law, but "not without considerable difficulty".

Prior to the meeting, the three had published an eight-page pamphlet titled, "The Need of an Industrial School in North Carolina, together with the Estimates of the Cost of Establishing and Maintaining It. A Memorial to the General Assembly by the Watauga Club of Raleigh", which they circulated among the legislators and sent throughout the state to newspaper editors and influential citizens.

The building's original name, "Alumni Memorial Building" honors the more than 300 alumni who died in World War II and the Korean War. It was made possible through a funding gift from alumnus Dick Reynolds. Reynolds was the son of R.J. Reynolds, who owned the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company in Winston Salem.

The building is a renovation and extension of an infirmary that had served students from the early 1900's, when it was one of the first buildings on campus.

Neoclassic architecture characterizes the building with its Corinthian columns, white portico, and fanlights.

Return to the Building Index or Return to the Campus Map Tunnel - not accessible (click for details) Emergency Blue Light Telephone Location Accessible Wolfline Bus Transit Stop Steep Grade - may require assistance (click for details) Nearest accessible van parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Nearest accessible car parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Passenger Elevator - requiring a key for access (click for details) Passenger elevator (click for details) Accessible Facility Entrance (click for details) Automatic Door Opener Accessible Entrance (click for details) Elevation Change (click for details) Access Route (click for details) Inaccessible Building (click for details) Partially Accessible Building (click for details) Accessible Building (click for details) South Campus North Campus Centennial Campus Central Campus Central Campus South Campus West Campus Stadium and Arena