Broughton Hall

Scroll below for building history

Click to view ADA Map
Accessibility Map

Location: North Campus

Built 1951

Sq. Footage

To: Campus Map
To: Facilities Division
To: Floor Plans


Broughton Hall houses several wind tunnels as well as a collection of diesel engines furnished by the navy. Engraved under the cornice of the building on two sides are the names of renowned engineers: Brayton, Beau de Rochas, Diesel, Otto, Carnot, Brown, Barber, Lanoir, Priestman and Barnett. NC State has witnessed an increasing number of engineering graduates and faculty who have joined the nation's space program in recent years.

The building is named after Joseph Melville Broughton (1888-1949) who was elected governor of North Carolina in 1941 and to the U.S. Senate in 1948. Broughton was also the first president of the Engineering Foundation. His accomplishments include the acquisition of the $2 million engines during World War II, his delegation to the 1936 national Democratic convention, and his incorporation of a supplemental, private budgetary support program for the University.

Return to the Building Index or Return to the Campus Map Tunnel - not accessible (click for details) Emergency Blue Light Telephone Location Accessible Wolfline Bus Transit Stop Steep Grade - may require assistance (click for details) Nearest accessible van parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Nearest accessible car parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Passenger Elevator - requiring a key for access (click for details) Passenger elevator (click for details) Accessible Facility Entrance (click for details) Automatic Door Opener Accessible Entrance (click for details) Elevation Change (click for details) Access Route (click for details) Inaccessible Building (click for details) Partially Accessible Building (click for details) Accessible Building (click for details) South Campus North Campus Centennial Campus Central Campus Central Campus South Campus West Campus Stadium and Arena