Bureau of Mines

Bureau of Mines

View from Northeast

Scroll below for building history


Location: North Campus

Built 1945

To: Campus Map
To: Facilities Division
To: Floor Plans


The Bureau of Mines was constructed in 1945 as a research station for the mining, quarrying, metallurgical and other mineral industries.

The building stood vacant for a time, was used for storage of radioactive materials, and in the late 1950s was taken over by the physics department for experiments in nuclear physics and atomic physics. NC State's first nuclear reactor was housed in the building until it was superseded by newer equipment in the Burlington Engineering Laboratories. The first reactor has now been adopted by Mississippi University.

The Bureau of Mines was then converted into an office and research facility by adding levels to what had previously been high bay areas. It is a four-story building located near the free-expression tunnel behind Cox Hall. The building bears architectural touches from the Federal period.

Return to the Building Index or Return to the Campus Map Tunnel - not accessible (click for details) Emergency Blue Light Telephone Location Accessible Wolfline Bus Transit Stop Steep Grade - may require assistance (click for details) Nearest accessible van parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Nearest accessible car parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Passenger Elevator - requiring a key for access (click for details) Passenger elevator (click for details) Accessible Facility Entrance (click for details) Automatic Door Opener Accessible Entrance (click for details) Elevation Change (click for details) Access Route (click for details) Inaccessible Building (click for details) Partially Accessible Building (click for details) Accessible Building (click for details) South Campus North Campus Centennial Campus Central Campus Central Campus South Campus West Campus Stadium and Arena