Park Shops - 101 Current Drive
Location: North Campus
Constructed in 1914, the building was named in honor of Charles B. Park (1867-1944). From 1914 until 1949 the Mechanical Engineering Department taught the majority of all shop courses (Woodworking, Machinery, Welding Foundry, etc.) in this building.
Professor Park was born in Raleigh in 1867. He attended the Raleigh Male Academy and served his apprenticeship with Allen and Cram of Raleigh. He later worked as a machinist with the Seaboard Air Line Railway. Professor Park served as professor from 1890-1934 and was instructor in the forge shop 1890-1892. From 1892 until 1934 he was superintendent of the shops in the Mechanical Engineering Department and from 1890 until 1920 he was also superintendent of the Heat, Light and Power Plant.
Professor Park worked as director of the Morris Plan Bank, the Mechanics Savings
Bank, the Atlantic Fire Insurance Company and the Atlantic and North Carolina
Railroad. He was the originator of Raleigh Building and Loan Association and
was one of the organizers of the Jefferson Standard Life Insurance Company.
He served as vice-president of the Melrose Knitting Mill and was vice-president
of the Raleigh Times Publishing Company. Professor Park was chairman of the
first City Planning Commission and was instrumental in naming many Raleigh streets.
The Park Shops building underwent a comprehensive renovation which completed in May of 2009.