Withers Hall

View From the West (Lampe Drive)

Scroll below for building history

Click to view ADA Map
Accessibility Map

Location: North Campus

Built 1939;
Renovated, 2006

Sq. Footage

To: Campus Map
To: Facilities Division
To: Floor Plans


Originally built for chemistry, this restrained Beaux Arts-style building honors William Alphonso Withers (1864-1924). The first chemist appointed at NC State's founding in 1889, Withers eventually served the University as vice president under President Riddick's administration. His accomplishments include the discovery of toxic properties in cottonseed and writing the North Carolina Pure Food and Drug legislation of 1899.

In addition, Withers was a member of the Agricultural Experiment Station to which he contributed pamphlets and bulletins. Several scientific societies were able to claim Withers as a member, including The Knights Templar and a colonial war society. For many years he was chairman of the local board of education. In 1917, Davidson College awarded Withers an honorary doctorate of science.

Return to the Building Index or Return to the Campus Map Tunnel - not accessible (click for details) Emergency Blue Light Telephone Location Accessible Wolfline Bus Transit Stop Steep Grade - may require assistance (click for details) Nearest accessible van parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Nearest accessible car parking spaces - number indicates available spaces Passenger Elevator - requiring a key for access (click for details) Passenger elevator (click for details) Accessible Facility Entrance (click for details) Automatic Door Opener Accessible Entrance (click for details) Elevation Change (click for details) Access Route (click for details) Inaccessible Building (click for details) Partially Accessible Building (click for details) Accessible Building (click for details) South Campus North Campus Centennial Campus Central Campus Central Campus South Campus West Campus Stadium and Arena