Award-Winning Game Teaches Cultural Competency
First Impressions, a virtual reality learning experience developed in partnership with NC State, took home a bronze medal in the 2018 International Serious Play Awards, which recognize excellence in games designed for use in K-12 or higher education settings.Read More
Virtual reality provides unique opportunities for training related to leadership and management in a safe and engaging environment. This VR mediated lesson uses the principles of action learning, including two specific elements of conflict resolution: self-awareness and empathy skills. Participants learn to respond appropriately and effectively to a cross-cultural incident in a business situation. This VR mediated activity is intended to be used as part of a course aimed at developing global management and leadership skills.
The award-winning "First Impressions" module allows participants to dive into the minds of your global partners and engage in learning about culture on both a cognitive and emotional level. This 10-minute module includes 2 scenes:
- Tensions begin to develop as new international team members meet for the first time in China.
- Participants select a character and experience the rest of the meeting from his point-of-view -- hearing his thoughts and reactions to the discussions.
By the end of this activity participants will be able to:
- Identify how culture impacts our perception of conflict by reviewing and understanding a model of cultural dimensions.
- Understand how culture shapes our reaction to conflict by observing a scenario in VR.
- Experience how culture shapes our approach to conflict management by the cognitive processes of a character in the VR scenario.
Let us know if you're interested in learning more about what the GTI is doing.Email Us