Quick Start Tutorial
This Quick Start Tutorial
demonstrates each of the steps for porting a workflow from a desktop computer to the HPC cluster, Henry2. The user is led through the various steps using the existing website documentation.
The Tutorial covers:
- Gaining access to Henry2
- A set of essential Linux commands
- Software requirements and instructions for logging in and transferring files
- How to run an existing application in several ways, using MATLAB as an example. Includes methods for running in batch, command-line interactive, and GUI interactive.
Basic HPC usage
- Review the overview of HPC, HPC prerequisites, and the Acceptable Use Policy.
- Henry2 is a Linux cluster. See the following recommended links for learning Linux, click the box to expand the learning paths, and choose a set of learning materials based on use case. Alternatively, go straight to this Linux tutorial.
- Connect to the cluster from a local machine by logging in.
- Review the details for the available storage on HPC, including directory locations, size limits, and backup policies.
- Learn various methods of transferring files between Henry2 and a local machine.
- To run an existing application on Henry2, locate the application on the software page.
After looking at the examples for suggested use, check the documentation on running programs to further inform job submissions.
- Learn how to submit batch jobs and run parallel programs.
- Read this before submitting parallel jobs
To install software or compile a research application
The HPC center has various hardware and software resources. See the available hardware and storage options, monitor the cluster status, or investigate the system installed software.