A Small Selection
Henry E. Schaffer
Professor Emeritus of Genetics and Biomathematics
Coordinator of Special IT Projects & Faculty Collaboration/OIT
NC State University
R Project for Statistical Computing (Open Source)
http://www.r-project.org/ The basic package with a large variety of add-ons,
- Also see Open Source Resources
Not just Analytics.
- IBM SPSS Statistics
- IBM Cognos
, Big SQL, ...
- Big Data - Info from IBM
- STATA data analysis and statistical
- Many other suppliers, including many Software as a Service (SaaS)
providers in the Cloud.
- Institute for Advanced
Analytics NC State's M.S. in Analytics - a Professional degree
Not the same approach as M.S. in Statistics or Operations Research!
This is a rough outline - see the
- Basic Applied Statistics
- Data Sources - e.g. US Census
- Collaboration and Teamwork
- Business Dress
- Decision Support
- Presentation and Communication Skills
- "BI" - Business Intelligence / Business Analytics
- "Big Data" -> can't handle data manually -> require automated processing
because of size of data
- Real Life Data
- Unbalanced, uncontrolled, biased, ...
- "Messy" -> pre-processing (spelling errors, abbreviations, ...)
- "Dirty" -> "Data Cleansing"
- Missing fields
- Unstructured (often text, e.g. Twitter)
- Advanced Analytics
- Data Mining - a collection of tools
- Market Basket Analysis
- Applied Matrix Algebra
- Multivariate Analysis
- VCL for Desktop Augmentation - computational facilities
- Data - Data Warehouse - storage - backup
A description of Data Science careers and online schools
- ASA - American
Statistical Association - Publications
- The International
Biometrics Society - see Publications
For Discussion: Compare "Statistics",
"Analytics", "Big Data" and "Data Science"
Copyright 2012, 2016, 2019 by Henry E. Schaffer Comments and
suggestions are welcome, and should go to email@example.com
Last modified 12/24/2019
Disclaimer - Information is provided for your use. No endorsement