TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE TO MULTIFAMILY HOUSING INDUSTRY
Sponsor: North Carolina Independent Living Rehabilitation Program
PI: Leslie Young
Period: 8/01/99 through Present
The purpose of this project is to provide technical support services to the North Carolina multifamily housing industry by conducting plan reviews and, when appropriate, providing design recommendations to developers and builders of multifamily housing in North Carolina. The Center has developed and distributed
- a resource booklet on accessible and universal design in multifamily housing that fully explains and illustrates the "A" and "B" units with universal design suggestions
- a resource booklet on curbless or roll-in showers and shows how the size and other details can be incorporated to successfully control water
- a bathroom plan tech sheet whose designs comply with NCFHA QAP requirements
These are available for free or purchase via the publications page.
Center Offers Multifamily Housing Assistance
Center for Universal Design staff are eager to assist North Carolina builders, designers and architects of multifamily housing and our 20-plus years of experience in creating accessible and universally designed housing to work. We can help you understand and comply with the new state building code effective July 1, 1999.
Center staff can:
- Make suggestions for improving the design of bathrooms, kitchens and common use spaces
- Review design and construction drawings for building code compliance
- Answer questions on the accessibility requirements for multifamily housing in the NC State Building Code
Contact the Center by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1.800.647-6777.