Help Astronut match the soil type to its definition.
Fill in the blanks with the following words: silt, sand, clay, regolith, humus, and loam.
1. ____________ is very fine soil particles; it is smooth and can hold nutrients, but water and air do not move through it well.
2. ____________ is soil possessing an ideal mixture of sand, humus, and clay for growing plants.
3. ____________ is a layer of loose rock and rocky debris sitting on the top of a hard surface; this is on the Moon and was produced by meteors striking the Moon's surface.
4. ____________ is the largest of the soil particles; it is very rough and does not hold water well.
5. ____________ is medium-sized soil particles; it feels smooth and can hold a lot of water, which moves easily through it.
6. ____________ among the richest and darkest of soils and develops from decaying plant and animal life.
Click here for the answer key.
Click here to go back.