1. Clay is very fine soil particles; it is smooth and can hold nutrients, but water and air do not move through it well.
2. Loam is soil possessing an ideal mixture of sand, humus, and clay for growing plants .
3. Regolith is a layer of loose rock and rocky debris sitting on the top of a hard surface; this is on the Moon and was produced by meteors striking the Moon's surface.
4. Sand is the largest of the soil particles; it is very rough and does not hold water well.
5. Silt is medium-sized soil particles; it feels smooth and can hold a lot of water, which moves easily through it.
6. Humus is among the richest and darkest of soils and develops from decaying plant and animal life.
Click here to go back.