Frequently Asked Questions

For current students:

Students who entered the university in the fall of 2009 or later must meet the requirements of the General Education Program (GEP)to graduate. The GEP form shows you how to select your general education attached form to choose your humanities courses. It's menu style. There are blanks on the page. You choose a course to fill in each blank. Read the fine print, for example, when courses for a category must come from two different disciplines.

Ideally, the GK and USD blanks are not different courses from the blanks above. Choose at least one course to fill one of the blanks above that has USD beside it and at least one that has GK beside it.

The list of courses that will fill the GEP can be found at: .

To change your major, you’ll need to be admitted to the College of your new major. Once you have been admitted to the new college, they will assign you an advisor. You should contact your new advisor to guarantee that you’re registered for the best courses for your new major.

The link below gives more detailed instructions.

If you are undecided about a new major or curretly don’t meet the requirements for your new college, Academic Advising Services is the best place to go for advising. BME advisors cannot advise you for a major other than BME.

If you plan to change your major to another engineering major, you need to request a meeting with the advisor of your new major by contacting the Coordinator of Advising within that major. College of Engineering COAs are listed here.

In your Pack Portal, you should see your enrollment appointment. Your enrollment appointment is the earliest date and time that you can register for courses for the next semester. If you create a wish list, the registration system will automatically try to register you for the courses on your wish list at the time of your enrollment appointment. You should check to see that you were enrolled in all the courses on your wish list and make changes as needed.

Please have a look at the transfer website. You can use it to find courses at other institutions that will transfer to NCSU as the courses you need to take.

If the class is listed as an equivalent on the transfer website to the NCSU course you need, it will transfer without a problem.

Courses transferred from another institution will transfer as CR (credit) if you make a C or better. They will not count toward your GPA. If you make less than a C, you can't transfer the course.

If the course you would like to transfer is not listed on the transfer website, you will need to take the course syllabus to the NCSU department that would offer the course to have it evaluated for transfer. For example, if you wanted to transfer a history course, you would take the syllabus to the history department.

You can count 6 credit hours of graduate classes taken as an undergraduate toward a graduate degree at NCSU as long as those classes don't count toward your undergraduate degree. Graduate credits typically do not transfer to other universities. As an undergraduate, you'll need to receive permission from the instructor of the graduate course to be admitted to a graduate level course.

There are a few tactics that you might be able to use. Get on a wait list if there is one. Find out when tuition is due. On the day after tuition is due, all students who haven't paid tuition are dropped from their classes. There may be openings in classes then. Many students change their schedules during the first week of class, so check often for the class you want during the first week. You may also plan to attend the class you want to add on the first day. Dress nicely and sit at the front. After class, approach the teacher, explain your situation, and see if the teacher will admit you to the class.

If the class is a course that is required as part of the BME curriculum or is one of your BME electives, send Dr. Cartee ( the following information.

  • Your student id number
  • The class number and section number of an open class to which you need to be added
  • The 4 or 5 digit class number that corresponds to that class

If the class it not part of the BME curriculum, you'll need the permission of the department that offers the class. You should contact the course instructor or coordinator of advising listed on the website below for the department that offers the class to see if he/she can help.

If you did CODA and you were accepted into your second or third choice, your chances of transferring into the BME Program are small. The College of Engineering has capacity targets for each CODA cycle. Internal transfers from other engineering departments or colleges are limited; however, should you wish to transfer from your current program into BME as a sophomore, you can do so. Keep in mind that if you apply to transfer as a rising junior, it will be all dependent on the number seats available for that specific graduating class. Students who are reapplying and transfer students can compete for those positions. Applicants who apply to enter the program as juniors must have all of the pre-reqs for the junior level courses. Those pre-reqs are an equivalent to BME 201 as discussed below, BIO183, ECE331 and MA242 and a 2.9 minimum GPA.

Be realistic about the 2.9 GPA requirement. Map out the courses you plan to take and your anticipated grades and calculate your projected GPA. If you didn’t make a 2.9 your first year, then it probably isn’t realistic to expect that you will make straight A’s from this point forward. GPA is calculated by:

Sum of all courses (credit hours * grade points) / total credit hours taken

If you use a grade exclusion, you can eliminate that class from the calculations. The grade points are 4.3 for A+, 4.0 for A, 3.7 for A-, 3.3 for B+, 3.0 for B, 2.7 for B-, 2.3 for C+, 2.0 for C, 1.7 for C-, 1.3 for C+, 1.0 for D, 0.7 for D-, 0 for F. S/U courses and TR courses don’t factor into the GPA.

Because we have to limit the number of students in BME classes, those that have not CODAed are not allowed to take BME classes (with the exception of BME 252 – see below). If you are currently enrolled in BME 201 and BME 204, you’ll be dropped from those classes. Those should be your only two BME classes.

For non-CODAed students, the following course substitutions will be permitted. By taking the courses below in place of the required sophomore level BME courses, it is possible to stay on track with the BME curriculum.

BME 201: For students who have not CODAed into BME, we will accept MA 116, CSC 112, CSC 114 or CSC 116 as a replacement for BME 201. Matlab is the computer language taught in BME 201 that we use in our upper level courses. MA 116 teaches Matlab, so it’s probably the best choice. CSC 112 teaches Fortran, CSC 114 teaches C++, and CSC 116 teaches Java. C++ is very close to Matlab, but it is offered online only. We will accept one of the CSC classes provided you agree to teach yourself Matlab. Teaching yourself Matlab isn’t as difficult as it sounds. All computer languages are very similar. Key words and punctuation may change, but the basic principles of programming are always the same.

BME 203: Non-CODAed students can substitute MSE 200 or MSE 201 for BME 203. The subject matter for those classes is very closely related.

BME 210: BME 210 is a 4 credit hour circuits course with a lab. Non-CODAed students can replace the 3 lecture credits with ECE 331 and the one lab credit with BME 312 taken after matriculation.

BME 252: BME 252 is a one credit hour online class. Non-CODAed students may take this class, but you will need to send a request to Dr. Cartee to be added. Please include your student ID number with your request.

BME 204: There is no course substitution for BME 204, but it can be delayed until the junior year.

  • There is no difference in the content between MAE courses for majors and non-majors.
  • MAE 314 for MAE majors will be required as a co-requisite for MAE 305.
  • Non-MAE students cannot register for an MAE major section of a course (and vice versa) before the open enrollment period.

  • When there are open seats in a course that are reserved for specific majors, you may attend class the first day and ask the instructor for permission to have one of the restricted seats. If the instructor grants permission, use a schedule revision form to add the course to your schedule. You can pick up a schedule revision form from your academic adviser. This form requires the instructor's signature.
  • If the course restriction says departmental approval required, you may contact the instructor to find out who in the department can grant permission (permission must come from the department teaching the class).
  • If there is a GPA restriction that you do not meet, you will not be able to register for the class.

  • The most popular non-humanity minors for BME students are math, physics and biomanufacturing.
  • BME students with artistic interests often minor in design studies.
  • A minor in business administration is helpful for students who plan to get an MBA.
  • Electrical and material science offer engineering minors.
  • Many BME students minor in a foreign language.
  • For more information about minors, visit Academic Advising Services

  • Fill out a minor declaration form and bring it to your minor adviser, who will approve and send it to Registration and Records.
  • The minor audit will appear under "Degree Audit" in My Pack and will be designated on your official transcript at the same time your degree is conferred.

  • The College of Engineering will pre-register you for classes based on your SAT and AP score.
  • You will be allowed to adjust your course schedule at orientation. The advising hold on your account will be released at this time.
  • Departmental advisers are not permitted to release advising holds or modify schedules for incoming freshmen.

  • If you plan to come to NC State for an engineering degree (even if it's not BME), we would recommend putting your back-up choice as your 1st choice and BME as your 2nd choice and then still completing the separate BME essay.  This way, you can be admitted to NC State sooner (April/May) and find out about BME later (June).
  • If you only plan to come to NC State if you are accepted into BME, we recommend listing BME as your 1st choice and nothing as your 2nd choice. Again, be sure to complete the separate BME essay.

  • First, get on the wait list if you can. Note that wait lists are closed the first day of class and deleted on the last day to add a class.
  • Attend the first day and see if there is room and the instructor is willing to take extra students into the class.
  • For non-BME courses, if the instructor grants permission, a schedule revision form can be used to add the course to your schedule. You can pick up a schedule revision form from your academic adviser.
  • For BME courses, the instructor may contact granting permission for you to be added to the class.
  • It is not recommended that students contact the instructor before classes begin about getting into a full class.

A student who has already earned a degree from NCSU may take more courses by registering as a PBS (post-baccalaureate studies) or NDS (non-degree studies) student.

No. Only administrators in the department offering a course can add or remove students from classes in that department.

Students who want to audit a course must fill out an Audit Request Form, acquire the necessary signatures, and submit the signed form to the Office of Registration & Records (1000 Harris Hall).

  • First, check the list of pre-approved transfer courses for NC Community Colleges or other colleges/universities. If the course does not appear on either list, it will have to be evaluated for equivalence.
  • You must provide a complete syllabus, textbook list, and graded coursework (if the course has been completed already) for evaluation. These materials should be submitted to the department responsible for the course that you intend to substitute.
  • Contact Dr. Kim Roberts ( (study abroad students contact Mr. Brian Koehler in 120 Page Hall for help locating departmental representatives who can evaluate your transfer course.
  • To transfer your course to NCSU, have an official copy of your transcript sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office.

  • Credit for AP courses will not appear in the degree audit until your AP scores have been sent to NC State from College Board.
  • If there are errors or missing AP credits after scores have been received by NC State, contact or visit the Registration & Records Office (919-515-2572 or 1000 Harris Hall).

  • Deadlines for adding/dropping courses can be found here
  • Late course additions must be approved by the instructor of the course and the College of Engineering. A schedule revision form should be used to add a course.
  • Late course drops are permitted only under certain extenuating circumstances. A schedule revision form should be used to add a course. The form must be accompanied by a letter of explanation addressed to Dr. Dave Parish, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, justifying the request and supporting documentation (doctor's notes, counseling center notes, etc.).
  • Students who have a legitimate reason for dropping a course after the deadline should first consult the University Counseling Center
  • The university policy on late drops (withdrawals) can be found here
  • Schedule revision forms can be acquired from your academic adviser.

  • Visit this link for information about the grade exclusion policy.
  • Students may exclude grades (C- or lower) in up to two courses at any level.
  • First year retakes count as exclusions.

  • The university allows only two attempts of the same course if a grade of C- or lower is earned.
  • Courses in which a grade of C or better is earned cannot be repeated.
  • Visit this link for information about the course repeat policies:

  • If the lab is separate from the class and has any credit hours associated with it, you do not have to retake the lab.
  • If the lab is zero credits and part of the class, you must retake the lab with the class.

  • Advising/registration hold: Please schedule an appointment to meet with your faculty adviser to have your hold released.
  • Academic warning hold: Complete an academic advisement report and bring it to your adviser
  • Non-payment/cashier's office holds: Late payments for tuition or student health services. Payment must be made to the University Cashier's Office before the hold can be released.
  • Student conduct holds: Academic integrity or student conduct violation. Contact the Office of Student Conduct for more information.

  • Bring a copy of an academic advisement form to your academic advisor. Be sure to fill out the top box before you come.
  • Failure to follow these steps will result in a hold on your account that prevents registration for the next semester.

  • Progress toward degree warning means you are not progressing in your degree as required by the university (e.g., taking too many non-curriculum courses, repeating courses too many times, poor grades, etc.).
  • The university policy on progress toward degree can be found here

  • The credits you earn at NCSU do not have an expiration date.
  • A student who withdraws in good standing (GPA 2.0 or higher) may return any time.
  • Students who withdraw between semesters need only to drop all of their courses for the up-coming semester to be considered withdrawn.
  • Students who withdraw in the middle of a semester should make an appointment with the University Counseling Center for assistance.
  • The readmission guidelines and procedures can be found here

  • A co-op is a structured, university approved work program designed to allow students to alternate semesters of school and paid work in their field of study. During semesters of work, students enroll in a zero credit co-op class (COP ***) that allows them to maintain continuous enrollment. Co-op generally requires one extra year in school to complete the program, and the time spent working can be applied toward a professional engineering license. For more information about co-op, visit the co-op website. Students should apply for the co-op program after they have CODAed.
  • An internship is paid career-related experience, typically during the summer. The Career Development Center provides the ePACK system to help you find an internship. Students can intern at any time. An internship does not apply toward a professional engineering license.

Course credit cannot be awarded for paid internships or jobs.

  • Students should complete the online scholarship eligibility form to apply for all COE scholarships.
  • COE scholarships are awarded only to students who have CODAed.
  • Odds of receiving a scholarship vary by year. GPA (overall and major), financial need, personal statement, and classification are strongly weighted in the awarding process.
  • Availability of funds determines the number and amount of new scholarships awarded each year.

  • If you are doing well in your classes and have time for outside activities, then undergraduate research may be for you. It is an excellent experience that prepares you for higher education.
  • The best way to get started is to look through the primary and affiliated faculty profile pages, here and here.
  • Then, select faculty who work on research topics of interest to you, and meet with them to discuss their undergraduate research opportunities.

You can order an official copy of your transcript by visiting here.

  • Apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester or summer session in which you are completing the last courses you need to complete your curriculum requirements.
  • There are two steps for graduation check-out:
    1. Submit a graduation request in My Pack
    2. Fill out a graduation form, which will be provided by the BME Undergraduate Office.
  • When the necessary forms have been submitted, you will receive email communications from the university and department about graduation-related details.

  • Information about the university graduation ceremony can be found here
  • The departmental ceremony takes place at the McKimmon Center room #2 from 5:00 – 7:00 pm the same Saturday as the university graduation ceremony.