Safety Alert - Active Alert
Safety Notice – Initial Notice
NC State University Campus
NC State University Police are investigating a phone scam operation impacting the campus community. The phony callers are representing themselves as Internal Revenue Service (IRS) agents attempting to collect an outstanding debt. The scammers are asking for payment with gift cards or iTunes cards. The phony calls also appear to be coming from university police phone numbers.
NC State police are encouraging the campus community to take into consideration the following safety steps:
· In general, the IRS will not call you without sending correspondence first
· The IRS will NOT demand payment via iTunes cards, any pre-paid debit cards or gift cards, Western Union, MoneyGram, or bank deposits
· The IRS will NOT share tax information with local law enforcement agencies
· The IRS will NOT threaten to arrest you over the phone for unpaid taxes
· If you receive a call with any of the information above, hang up and contact your local law enforcement agency. You can also contact your local IRS office for assistance determining if you owe money to the IRS.
· You can use the following link: https://www.treasury.gov/tigta/ to complete an IRS impersonation scam report.
For more information go to: go.ncsu.edu/crimewarning
Type of Crime: