The Center for Universal Design (CUD) is a national information, technical assistance, and research center that evaluates, develops, and promotes accessible and universal design in housing, commercial and public facilities, outdoor environments, and products. Our mission is to improve environments and products through design innovation, research, education and design assistance.
- (NEW) Universal by Design -- Fall 2008 -- A new course is being developed at the College of Design to be introduced in the fall semester of 2008 -- it will be an advanced undergraduate and graduate level course on universal design.
- The Center for Universal Design works with the National Children's Museum, Washington, D.C.
- New Five-Year Exchange Agreement with Beijing Institute of Technology
- Center Begins Project with Government of Norway -- The Center had been contacted by the Ministry of the Environment to produce a report (March 2007) to help the government implement a nationwide universal design strategy.
- Principles of Universal Design
- (NEW) Revisit a 1994 Conference titled Emerging Technologies for Independent Living
- (NEW) Installing Trench Drains in Curbless Showers (pdf) -- Since trench drains are an effective method of controlling water, especially if waterproof membranes are used and correctly installed, designers and builders can be more confident that unwanted water infiltration will not occur.
- (NEW) Stepless Entrances for Multifamily Housing (pdf) -- Land planners are designing medium-density landscapes with apartments, condominiums, two-story townhouses, and single- and two-family houses. Many of these entrances are reached via stairs to an elevated front porch. Porches with steps pose a significant physical barrier to many neighborhood residents. This tech sheet presents solutions that allow porches and offer easy access into the house via a stepless entrance.
- (NEW) Residential Rehabilitation, Remodeling and Universal Design (pdf) -- A remodeling guide that describes how to select a dwelling that is conducive to accessibility improvements, and provides both a comprehensive list of universal features for the entire house, and a priority list of the most important universal features. Shows multiple illustrated design solutions for the modification of two key areas, entrances and bathrooms.
- Accessible Multifamily Housing (pdf) -- This publication highlights key issues from the July 1, 1999, building code that apply to the design and construction of new multifamily housing (note this file is large - 10meg)
- Center's Gold, Silver, Bronze Universal Home Features (pdf) -- Universal home features list contains features, ideas or concepts that contribute to or can be components of a universal living space.
- Bathroom Options for Multifamily Housing in North Carolina (pdf)
- Curbless Showers: An Installation Guide (pdf)
- Universal Approach to Product Design
.... for more CUD publications
- The National Home Modifications Action Coalition (pdf) goes national and incorporates!